It is not to scare you, but from Km. 148 of the Inter-American route CA-1 to the municipality of San Juan La Laguna or to another neighboring town, there is a good section of slope and several accidents have recently occurred on this section, either for some reason. mechanical failure of the vehicle, due to driver distraction, driving under the influence of alcohol, sleep, use of a mobile phone while driving, speeding or for any other reason.
It should be noted that, on this route, there are very steep slopes, so you must drive with caution and use the compression of the vehicle's engine to avoid heating the brakes.
Reason for which we leave some recommendations to avoid any kind of accident and to come and enjoy the beautiful attractions that are around Lake Atitlán.
Recommendations to lower the slope.
- Have the vehicle in optimal conditions.
- The slope is long, so we recommend you go down the slope calmly, without any hurry.
- Come braking the motorized vehicle, accompanying it with the brake, to avoid overheating of the brakes.
- Do not open or close on curves (stay in the corresponding lane).
- Do not overload the vehicle.
- Do not pass vehicles.
- Don't get nervous.
- Be alert.
- Don't get distracted by anything, especially your phone or electronic devices when you're driving.
- Get a good grip on the steering wheel, keeping both hands on the wheel at all times.
- Handle the steering and brakes with care.
- Position the rear-view mirrors (side and center) correctly to reduce blind spots.
- Keep your distance from other vehicles, this will allow you to stop or maneuver the vehicle without complications in an emergency situation.
- Respect traffic signs.
- In case of rain or fog, slow down, keep your distance from other vehicles and use your lights correctly.
In case of brake overheating, the best thing to do is stop the vehicle slowly in a safe place and wait for the brakes to cool down, for your safety and that of your passengers . Several sources mention that it is NOT recommended to use water to cool the brakes.
Some tips to keep your vehicle in optimal conditions.
- Have up-to-date maintenance services for your vehicle.
- Have the brakes in good condition (brake pads and brake fluid).
- Check the oil level and the air filter before leaving home.
- Have the main lights in good condition, as well as the emergency lights.
- Wipers that lighten and do not darken
- Take care of everything that has to do with the suspension.
- Bring a tool kit, as well as spare parts.
- Check fuel tank, try to make sure it's full.
- Check the tire pressure, as well as their good condition.